This is one of my favourite recipes at the moment and I got it from my new favourite cookbook Hardcore Carnivore by Jess Pryles. The recipe is for the oven, but I decided to try it in my egg, and changed a few bits and bobs due to my pantry contents. I had never been a huge fan of roast beef, but this is seriously amazing! This rub is everything.
1 – 1.5kg roast beef (chuck or topside) – I have used much bigger or smaller with success
3 – 4 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsps paprika
4 tsps ground pepper
3 green chillies finely diced
salt to taste
- Preheat egg (or smoker or oven) to 375F / 190C and setup for indirect heat with a large round dish under the grill plate (on top of the convEGGtor) to catch the drippings.
- Add all the ingredients aside from the beef to a bowl and mix into a paste.
- Place the beef on a board and rub the paste all over the visible sides, you want it quite thick.
- Pop the beef on the egg (or smoker or oven) once it’s come to temp and cook until the internal temp reaches reaches 140F / 60 °C for medium rare, or 150F / 65C for medium. This takes about an hour.
- Loosely cover with pink butchers paper or foil and rest for 15-20 minutes before thinly slicing.
I wouldn’t try this without a meat thermometer to be honest, overcooked roast beef is not ideal. Though perhaps you are a meat pressing wizard and laugh in the face of thermometers.